Sharing files among devices through Python through your WiFi router or not
You got a scenario where you need to share a large file or multiple large files between your two devices.
- A computer with Python3 installed
- A common internet network between your source and destination devices
- run the following command in your source computer from the folder where your source file is present.
$ python -m http.server
- Get the IP of your source computer through ifconfig/ipconfig based on your OS.
- Go to your destination device and open a browser.
- Type in the
<IP>:8000on the browser address bar
$ python -m http.server Serving HTTP on 0.0.0.0 port 8000 (http://0.0.0.0:8000/) ...
right-click on the desired file and click on
save link as to save the file on the destination.
That's it. :)
- You can transfer files of any size.
- You can create a zip file of an entire folder and transfer it.
- The receiver device can be any device (feature phone, tablet, etc.) it just needs to connect with the same network and should have a browser.
Question for you
- Do you need the internet to transfer the files?